[nflug] for the command line gurus

Louis Spironello lspironello at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 09:33:45 EST 2007

Hello Peter:You were almost there.  Try this:find /mnt/windowspart -iname "*.mp3" -exec /bin/mv -v {} <destination directory> \;That moves (not sure if you can a move or a copy.  If you wish to copy replace the /bin/mv with /bin/cp) and displays all files processed.You could of course leave off the "-v" to the move command.  Note: those arethe opened and closed curely brackets and a space before and after the <destination directory>.  Hope this helps.Regards,Lou> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:54:29 -0500> From: peter at thecybersource.com> To: nflug at nflug.org> Subject: [nflug] for the command line gurus> > I probably asked this before but I can't recall the answer. We're> probably gonna need some dollar signs and maybe some back ticks...> I'm looking for a (simple) way to find files of a certain type and> eventually put them all somewhere WITHOUT the existing paths they> currently have.> Case in point, I always get someones completely bugged up windows box in> here and they have tons of mp3's they now want on their Linux side.> Mounting with ntfs-3g makes this easy.> So I currently do this on their windows partition...> 1. find /mnt/windowspart -iname "*.mp3" > foundmp3s> 2. I then tar them up with tar czf foundmp3s.tar.gz -T foundmp3s> 3. Then I extract them where I want on the Linux side but all the songs> are scattered all over with the paths they had before. I would like to> remove all the paths and just get the mp3s out.> I know that it probably could all be done in one shot but the thing I> want to focus on is removing the existing paths or just getting the> files themselves. Any ideas? TIA> _______________________________________________> nflug mailing list> nflug at nflug.org> http://www.nflug.org/mailman/listinfo/nflug