[nflug] ubuntu on an old imac

obarajt at verizon.net obarajt at verizon.net
Sun Jan 21 20:22:39 EST 2007

OK, sorry it took me so long to send an update! I did swap out the HDD that came with the machine for a 6 Gb one I had wiped clean after a previous project. Not finding a bootable HDD forced its "BIOS" to look to the CD and then it stared it's Xubuntu load. The install itself went well, just slow and I did have to use the external VGA port because the built-in monitor would stop displaying after a certian point. I foolishly forgot about the xorg.conf tweak that was suggested and I spent several days cursing the hardware for not running very well. Once I re-read the old emails and I made the suggested changes, WHAM! It works great now! I am very impressed at how fast the GUI runs how fast web pages load with Firefox.

I guess the only other item of note is the USB keyboard I am using. When you first power it up, the Yaboot loader gives you a choice between HDD boot and CD boot. The only problem is that the keyboard is unresponsive until Xubuntu is almost hafway done with it's boot-up! I guess maybe something in the kernel is what finally detects the keyboard???

Thanks again for the help!