[nflug] get your money back

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Jan 8 12:09:17 EST 2007

Ken Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 11:15 -0500, Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Good point but it wouldn't be that hard.
>>

> No argument.  They just need to see it as worth spending effort on
> (effort costs money, keep in mind how slim the margins are in the
> computer hardware biz).  Some of them already have, some haven't.  We
> have bought servers from both Dell and HP with no operating system on
> them.  I don't think we've tried with laptops because even here the
> majority of people will either run Windows or want to dual-boot.
>
> All I'm saying is that sometimes the explanation of why something is the
> way it is isn't quite as straightforward as it first seems, and in the
> end boils down to something as simple as the "bean
> counters" (accountants) said that even doing something simple for the
> small number of cases the company would see isn't cost effective (yet).
>
> Apologies to any accountants in the audience... :-)

  I agree with ya too but all I'm saying is that I don't see it as an
added task to the manufacturers as much as I see how it could be a great
selling feature. Let's say they pay $75 for each machine license and
they offer laptops with no OS for $50 less, this way they can assign $25
for the erase script in their tight budgets.
  How many guys out there would like an option to buy an OS-less system
and save $50 as well?
  What if they already had xp on a box that's old or died and they don't
want to pay the "tax" again?
  It's better than forced food and in a free enterprise society (I think
it still is), I think it should at least be available.