[nflug] Flat Panel LCD Monitors

paul costa paul at paulcosta.com
Sat Jan 6 21:20:15 EST 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> Franklin Kumro Jr wrote:
>
>> Thats the monitor im going to purchase next week...im glad you like
>> it. Now I will def get it!

Hi all, talking about LCD's

I bought two (dual) Samsung Syncmaster 204B (20" black) monitors for my
machine and I love them.
They support both DV-I and VGA so ure analog will plug right in.
1600x1200 native res. No dead pixels, and very very bright. So bright in
fact, that I lowered the brightness down to 50%
The bezels are very thin compared to other brands.
These are not wide screens, however. They are 4:3 ratio. I do not like
the wide screen format .
The height is not high enough for me, especially when viewing web pages.
They also have no speakers, but I have 5.1 surround sound card so I
don't need  them
The stands these monitors come with are awesome, esp. when compared to
other brands.
This is something most people don't think of when buying lcd's. The two
monitors match up perfectly on these stands,
otherwise one might need to invest another $100-$150 bucks on a nice
dual stand to get the monitors to fit well together.
As for speed, they are rated at 8ms, which is not the fastest in the
world, but unless u are really into gaming the mouse responsiveness is
not a big issue.
I should mention that the cusser does have some blur when swiftly moving
the mouse. but it's not that bad.
The viewing angle is some of the best out there for lcd monitors. It
takes a bit getting used to but they are worth it.
I saved a whole bunch of desktop real estate moving to lcd's from crt's.
I actually have room to place my keyboard and mouse and a cup of java
w/room to spare.
Now don't get angry but, I am running windows on this machine mainly
because of the video editing and dvd authoring toolkits available to me,
and I watch and record many many programs using a hauppague tv card,
which by the way, is great. Even at full screen.

Note, they do work w/diff flavors of linux. I ran live cd's of Ubuntu
and x works fine. Ask Steve Burke, he witnessed it first hand.
Hell, even the java 3D worked, but ran very slow.

What else can I say, these are terrific monitors.
I bought them on 10/12/06 from comp-usa for $380.00ea (inc. tax but no
shipping) and they had a $50.00 rebate.
I received both $50.00 rebates on 12/27/06 from Samsung. No problems
So I only paid $330.00 total ea.

They also have a Three year warranty.
Most, or a lot of company's, only  offer a year,  so this is also
something  else to consider.

Just go and get these. You will be very happy, esp if u watch tv on u're
comp. using a tv card.
If you have digital cable or use Sat. get a pvr for that format. These
monitors will still look great.
Don't forget, these are 20" big bois

My two cents