[nflug] Loading an mp3 player

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Jan 4 14:42:22 EST 2007

I just got my first mp3 player.  It's a Creative Muvo V100 2 GB MP3 Player.

When I plug it in to kubuntu dapper, it shows up as a thumb drive and
everything should be fine, but:
I have several long tracks 30 to 60 minutes each (200 - 400 MB).  When I
copy them, it takes a long time before the Muvo shows it's receiving
anything (5 - 10 seconds or more) and the copy process seems to stop
several times.  When I play the tracks, they play fine for about 5
minutes and just stop.  I found I could fast forward over the "stop" and
continue listening.  There are about 5 different stops in the 30 minute
track (not all evenly spaced).

When I use the software that came with it (in Windoze), this problem
disappears.  Feels like some kind of handshaking is not quite right
during the copy.  The Windoze software mentions something about
installing some "safe" copy plugin (not drm).

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm interested in getting a physically bigger player - one with a
display I can read without glasses and that, hopefully, can play ogg or
other free format files.  Input appreciated - on or off list.

TIA

Joe