[nflug] Daylight saviings time

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 13:15:41 EST 2007

This is not true.  Linux/Unix thinks in GMT (UTC for time buffs).  When dates are reported, the library call uses the timezone information from the system to convert it to localtime on the fly.  If your system's library routines (in Unix/linux the timezone files) aren't correct for the timezone change differences, you will have a system that reports the time incorrectly after the DST change.  So for three weeks, your clock will be off.  If you force the clock to show the correct value, then the system's concept of GMT will be off by an hour.  ntpdate will do everything in GMT on a Linux/Unix box.  It will try to set the system's clock to the proper GMT which means that localtime routines will be off.

Lots of apps use local time to do things, such as cron or any calendering app.  Failure to fix the timezone data will cause those apps to be wrong.

I know this 'cuz I just had to patch a whole pile of machines at work, lest our apps start doing stupid things.

Cheers!

Bob