[nflug] Hardware Question

John G. Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Fri Feb 16 23:34:37 EST 2007

David Mangani wrote:
> Sorry about the botched post.... My question. I have had 3 unusual
> system lockups recently. My desktop seems to freeze, no programs will
> launch but the mouse seems to keep working. The first time I
> attributed it to just a glitch. It happened twice more. I noticed that
> when this happens the HD light comes on and STAYS on steadily. I began
> to think a HD going south. I powered down and reseated the ribbon
> cable on both ends. It seemed okay for the day, then locked up again
> later in the day. As a last resort I changed out the ribbon cable and
> it seems okay now ( been up trouble free for 2 days ). Is there a
> software tool that will help me determine if the HD is starting to go
> bad before it totally quits? I have a ton of music and alot of photos
> I'd hate to loose. I'm backing them up right now just in case. If it
> matters, the HD in question is a Western Digital WD800JB 80 gigs
> 7200rpm.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

Hi, Dave.
I can't think of a prog right now --I'm on my way to bed & fuzzy-headed.

WD guarantees their drives for 3 years. After that you might still be
alright. After 5 years, I recommend to my clients to replace a drive at
the first hint of trouble, if not before. Drives older than 5 years,
you're living on borrowed time.

Check out www.geeks.com. Right now they have a 160GB Hitachi 7200rpm
UDMA133 drive for $58 and a WD 320 GB  SATA-300 for just under $90.

Best of luck,
John