[nflug] This is a first! Kernel stuff

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Feb 15 14:39:32 EST 2007

For me anyway.
  I've been doing Linux since approx. 1999 and this is the absolute
first time I was able to edit a kernel and have it actually work! Let
alone download one from kernel.org an still have it all work, like a
champ! I've had Dave's help in the past rebuild a kernel for a sound
card once, on Fedora doing an rpmbuild system. This one I did on Ubuntu
Edgy and I remember seeing some questions lately about it so I thought I
would post it.
  I had bought this MSI motherboard that I was convinced was a POS,
onboard video was getting detected wrongly, onboard nic didnt even show
with lspci and the onboard sound didnt work either. I was running the
stock 2.6.17-generic kernel from Edgy's install. The motherboard
apparently has no southbridge, only a northbridge, which if I'm correct
pretty much leaves the onboard hardware completely up to the OS to
handle properly and this board has a buggy bios (yes it's up to date)
with a broken timer. Anywho, just for shits and giggles, I thought I
would try a kernel update and see if it helped. The first time I built
it failed, it had all the sata stuff turned off, went back in and
rebuilt again, turning all that stuff on and I couldn't freakin believe
it, this thing rocks! Everything works beautifully, 3d graphics, sound,
lan, usb, everything and it's smoking fast. So i was so excited I had to
post here. Here are the steps I took to build the latest from
kernel.org, 2.6.20.

1. Download kernel from kernel.org
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get install build-essential kernel-package gcc libncurses5
libncurses5-dev libqt3-mt-dev
4. cd /usr/src
5. tar xf /whereevernewkernelis
6. ln -s /usr/src/newkernelname /usr/src/linux
7. cd /usr/src/linux
8. make xconfig (adjust kernel accordingly, save it)
9. make-kpkg clean
10. make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=newnameofkernel kernel_image
modules_image (note: newnameofkernel is what you want to call it, caps
not allowed)
11. cd ..
12. dpkg -i newnameofkernel.deb

This will create everything needed and even put a boot line in grub.