[nflug] Replacing Linux Disk Drives (Cloning?)

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Tue Feb 6 10:29:48 EST 2007

I was thinking of doing something like that as an option, I'm not
running LVM, and its actually several partitions:

Yes It's a RAID1 pair.

/dev/sda2              5036316    294016   4486468   7% /
/dev/sda1               147766     36770    103367  27% /boot
/dev/sda8             56182236  43861416   9466876  83% /export
none                    512588         0    512588   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda7              1004024     16628    936392   2% /tmp
/dev/sda5              5036284   2242852   2537600  47% /usr
/dev/sda6              2016016    789172   1124432  42% /var

I bet you can spot the issue. :)

I do have the linux utilities, but could always use the bios as well.

I don't care if the extra ~72GB was a seperate partition, so I could
follow your instructions.

1. Pull the second disk,
2. Add the 140GB
3. Mirror the primary to the new 140GB
4. Replace the Primary with a new 140GB
5. Create a second logical drive on the free space of the pair (/dev/sdb)
6. Mount /dev/sdb to say /export2
7. Move some stuff from /export to /export2

I would love the help, but you'd need a Brazilian Visa. :)