[nflug] kubuntu wireless bumps

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri Feb 2 13:12:41 EST 2007

I'm running kubuntu dapper with a Verizon dsl wireless router (wep).

When I want wireless to work, I try the wireless assistant and it sees
my network and says connection failed (I have it set to open system and
it has my 5 character wep key.  I'm told this particular app is not too
swift.

So, I wrote a script that issues:

iwconfig eth1 essid Rita_Net channel 11 key s:mykey

This sort of works, but to get connected, I still have to go back into
wireless assistant and try to connect.  This time it runs faster and says
"Testing connection" before it says "Connection failed".

Despite it's prognosis, I'm now online fine.

This is a silly way to have to connect.

So what do I have to do to get either my script or wireless assistant to
work without all this fooling around?

Thanks.

Joe