[nflug] entire hard drive copy

eric eric at bootz.us
Fri Feb 2 11:52:19 EST 2007

if I...

ssh server "dd if=/home/me/partioned.raw" | dd of=/dev/hda

where partitioned.raw was a partition like "hda1" that I created,  will
dd know to expand the size of the partition to the entire hda drive, or
am I missing a command option?

say "partitioned.raw" is 4GB and "hda" is 40GB

Thanks,
Eric

joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:

> Thus spake eric:
>
>> using knoppix or other cd running distro I can do the following to
>> create an image of the hard drive, and the deploy the image to other
>> computers doing the opposite correct?  And, would I have to use
>> something like QTParted to resize if the image is too small or too large
>> for the new hard drive?
>>
>> "tar cf - /dev/hda | ssh DestinationServer dd
>> of=/my-directory/my-hda-image"
>

> close
>
>     dd if=/dev/hda |ssh server "dd of=/dev/hdX"
>
> or
>
>     dd if=/dev/hda |ssh server "dd of=/dir/image.raw"
>

>> :) I know this has been talked about, but I don't have the email
>> anymore, I bought a knoppix book but it's at home and doesn't talk about
>> the resizing of the image to fit or grow on different size hard drives
>> which I seem to remember being an issue?
>>
>> Thank Eric

after years of waiting...