[nflug] Routers... anybody?

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Fri Dec 28 15:42:27 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 11:14 -0800, Robert Meyer wrote:
> Well, that's where I'm trying to go with this.  We have a single internet connection and our business
> clients use the web to get to us so if the ISP connection drops, we lose business, quickly.

By the time you go up to redundant connection and all the things that go
with it, it's time to also look at issues like server redundancy, power,
administration style, etc.  With the extra infrastructure factors,
you'll need to evaluate if it's still worthwhile to host in your office
or if you should switch to colocation/managed service.

There are exceptions, but for business-critical servers, the colocation
route is just about always better.  You'll pay less for more reliable
bandwidth, and not have to manage the connection redundancy, physical
security, or backup power, assuming that you go with a provider you
trust.

Before going forward with a second local loop, you should put some
serious thinking time into how you want to grow the infrastructure.

--Erek