[nflug] Linux Powered Point of Sale

Stephen sfielding7 at cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 17 15:49:32 EST 2007

Just a note I install POS systems a lot are using old IBM dos or Linux
software so hacking is harder now the chains are switching to open IP on
the internet instead of a dedicated ISDN line now that is being
discontinued

Others are have switched to windows but encode all traffic and have a
security decoder as a gateway and multipull encryptions some transmitted
over IP some by calculation and still use snail mail keys and hardware
keys any two normally combine two or more on any system
Erek Dyskant wrote:

>> At this point, I am just curious as to whether or not there are
>> currently any existing Point Of Sale applications available for
>> Linux?  Preferably one with a MySQL backend.
>
>    Sadly, there's very little open source POS software out there.  Open
> source advocates tend to freely admit that there's an issue with
> vertical applications, as the userbase is so small and doesn't always
> overlap with people who are also programmers.
>    Many of the larger businesses that have serious custom development
> money have gone with linux backends, and a lot of pizza places use One
> Systems, Inc. which is a proprietary system that runs on Linux.
>
>    There's BananaPOS, which was going in the right direction, but seems
> to have stalled, and there's PHP POS, which is web based so it's only
> suited to the lowest transaction counts.  However, Quicken POS,
> Veritouch, and PC America all blow any open source application out the
> window in this area.  My advice is to either go the roll your own route
> or steer your customers to one of these and avoid giving open source
> applications a bad reputation by having people use less than mature ones.
>
>    There's definitely an opportunity for someone to write a fully
> featured open source POS system, make it into a super simple
> distribution, and sell support and hardware for it.  Maybe Corey could
> consider nudging his friend who does the liquor store systems in that
> direction.
>
>    As for Mysql vs Postgres, the answer is have your cake and eat it
> too.  A system like ideally this should ideally use a database
> abstraction layer, so that it can be used with whatever each DBA is most
> comfortable with.  Failing that, I really don't care since half of the
> users will be disappointed that it doesn't use their DB of choice, get
> over it, and learn a little about their less favorite DB.
>
>    Enough rambling for the moment.
>
> --Erek

Thank you
Stephen