[nflug] Router vs Layer 3 switch

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Mon Dec 10 16:38:24 EST 2007

Guess I'll throw in the Cisco point of view again. Cisco's motto is
"switch when you can, route when you must". Which makes sense since
switches are fast and routers are intelligent and slow. Although the
lowest end L3 Cisco switches are the 3560s in which the 24 port 10/100 is
about $5k MSRP. Of course the 3560s do all you want and much much more
like rate limiting (very cool) and QOS etc., but that's up to your budget.

Switching Performance -
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/switchperformance.pdf