[nflug] Router vs Layer 3 switch

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 12:43:26 EST 2007

I'm in a situation where "Theoritical" vs "Reality" is about to hit home.

I have a network of over 300 computers, all on the same subnet.  I need to break it up.

The traditional method is some kind of router.  Which is fine, but when you ask Cisco about routers that can handle 1Gb, all the employees at Cisco start shopping for boats.

It has been pointed out to me, that what I am looking for is a Layer 3 switch.  Which I have never actually touched before.  So, is there anyone here that has worked with layer 3 switches?  Which brand?

What I would like...

Web front end, ability to configure subnets.
DHCP server capability
1Gb/sec speed
16-24 ports.
Inexpensive.  If I wanted expensive, I'd buy a bunch of Cisco boxen.

What I don't need, yet, Router-router communications. However, due to the size of the network, I can imagine eventually requiring RIP. I don't think that should be too hard (most $50 household size boxes have RIP)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ATTO Technology Inc