[nflug] firefox configuration problems

Frank Pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 17:04:55 EST 2007

Joe wrote:
> That's how I started out, but the versions lagged quite a bit and the
> Report Broken Website function was disabled.
>
> Joe
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> That is the latest version of Firefox in the repos for Ubuntu Feisty,
>> so why have you changed to run a separate install in /opt? Your
>> runnning kbuntu feisty right?
>> Directory and file permissions are preventing those options as I doubt
>> you as a user are the owner of those files or at least have no write
>> permissions.
>> If your running Ubuntu, simply enable the update-manager in your
>> sessions and if and when there are updates for Firefox or anything
>> else for that matter, it will tell you and then show you what it's
>> going to do, then ask for your sudo password and take care of it all
>> for you.
>>

>> Joe wrote:
>>
>>> I have my own (latest) firefox 2.0.0.11) installed in /opt/firefox.  My
>>> preferences, etc., are in my home directory.
>>> When I select help from the menu bar, all the check for updates and
>>> report broken etc. options are disabled.
>>>
>>> I have app.update.enabled and app.update.auto set to true,
>>> app.update.incompatible.mode set to 1 in about:config.
>>>
>>> I do *not* have the distro version of firefox installed.  The only part
>>> "in" the system is the English locale.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>

>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Joe
Joe,

The installation of Firefox is quite simple in terms of its interaction
with the system (it is completely self-contained in the install
directory, save for two other items):  all settings, the cache,
bookmarks, etc go in ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default, the standard
installation goes in /usr/lib/firefox, and a symbolic link to the java
plugin (@libjavaplugin_oji.so) goes in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.

For the operation of Firefox, this is all that's needed and it can be
freely relocated as long as the executable firefox or firefox-bin in the
app's root directory is used to launch the program, and the symlink to
the java plug-in is correct.

So, if there are incorrect behaviors as you have things set up, try
creating a symlink from firefox under /opt in /usr/lib and that should
cover all things both the program and the system might care about.

Frank