[nflug] Linux MTA Question

justin.bennett at dynabrade.com justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Sat Dec 1 10:37:26 EST 2007

Hey everyone,

        I'm having an issue and I can't remember how I got around this
before. I have a linux server (RH 4AS) running lotus domino, the domino
server binds to port 25 for incoming email. I need to be able to run
sendmail so that my linux logs can get delivered, however it will not bind
on 25 obviously.  I bound it to another port, however when I try to send a
mail (simple echo test | mail jbennett at dynabrade.com) It tries to use the
domino running on port 25 rather than the sendmail bound on port 2525. The
problem is the domino server accepts mail for a different domain than the
one where I need to send the logs to, so it rejects the messages.

        I've tried using a smart host option and then commenting out the
DAEMON options to bind to port 25, but none of it worked, it still wanted
to use port 25.  Any idea how I can get my local linux mail (things like
cron logs, backup scripts ect.) to send without having to have sendmail
bound to port 25?

 I think I did something so that all mail from the system was sent another
smtp server and not using the local sendmail.

Thanks
Justin