[nflug] bash scripting

Robert Stockdale IV bobstockdale at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:55:01 EDT 2007

Hi All:
I'm a bit rusty at scripting. I've only done a little in the past. What I am
trying to do is create a file name with the date as part of the name. Such
as tnt082507.pdf (tnt'mmddyy'.pdf). I did this about 20 years ago in MS-DOS.
I'm planning to setup a cron job to retrieve a file from the web using wget.
The file always has the same name and I don't want to overwrite the previous
days file. I'd like to save them in a dated filename with a mv command in a
specified directory. How can I concatenate the system date as specified to
create unique filenames for each days file?
Thank you.
Bob