[nflug] bizarre sound issue

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Apr 26 16:02:31 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: nflug-bounces at nflug.org [mailto:nflug-bounces at nflug.org] On Behalf Of
Cyber Source
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 3:44 PM
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: [nflug] bizarre sound issue

vlok stone wrote:
> Hi all, I'm having a strange issue w/ media. All media
> files sound or video play slightly fast. Gives it a
> chipmunks like sound effect. Anyone ever come across
> something like this?
>
> First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win
> - Mohandas Gandhi

Just change it from 78 to 45....whew, showing my age there!! lol
Seriously though, can't say I've seen that one

This is a common problem with some Intel Sound Chips. There are several
solutions:

1) I use OSS sound drivers http://www.opensound.com/ as they are the only
solution I've found that reliably works
2) Check you sample rate, set it to 48khz if it's at 44khz or visa versa.
This has NEVER worked for me but it seems to work for others.

What exact sound card do you use? What OS and Alsa version? I can help track
down the probable solutions if you prefer not to use OSS :>

Sam S.