[nflug] attempting data recovery (after total screwup)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 23:56:02 EDT 2007

I have to second the backup drive.  For very little money ( it seems little when you're sitting there wondering if you lost everything) you can put a USB external case and a HUGE drive outside your PC.  I use backup ninja to backup files, Database,  etc etc nightly.  Only backup changes.  Keeps record of changes for as long as I choose.

I also want to point out that ext3 IS ext2.  with the addition of a transactional log - you CAN mount ext3 as 2 - you probably wiped the transactional log or master records etc.  My technical explanation may not be sound but you get the idea.  That is one reason that many folks stick with ext3 since you can use ext2 tools on it.  I have to admit I am on the not so bloody edge using reiserfs and the like but I still feel warm and fuzzy with the relatve safety of good old ext3(2)

JJN