[nflug] You qualify as a Dinosaur if ...

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 01:36:07 EDT 2007

I remember having to convert an entire 250000 line FORTRAN program (FORTRAN is always spelled in caps) from a bizarre HP fortran dialect that allowed line numbers to start in column 1.  The version of the compiler that I had on Unix wouldn't allow that.  While I was sitting there with 3 managers standing behind me, arguing over who they were going to assign to the project, I typed in vi (that's vee eye, not vye, six or any other variation) the following: :1,$s/^\([0-9]*\)\( \)/\2\1/   Now a *real* dinosaur can explain just exactly what that did.  So vi did it's thing and about 3 seconds later, I announced: "It's fixed".  The prompted the managers to stop talking and in unison ask "What?".  I told them it was fixed and fed it to the compiler.  An hour later (yeah, in the days when machines were slower than modern PDAs), it gave me an a.out file (actually, I named it in the compiler but it was an a.out type of file).  I still didn't get a raise...

I wonder if I can find the 'Real Programmers' file that I used to have...

Real Programmers don't write in BASIC.  Actually, no programmers write in BASIC after the age of 12.

Cheers!

Bob