[nflug] Linux recommendations for new user

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 08:48:43 EDT 2007

Hi Ryan,
I'd recommend that you try a linux that you can run
from CD-ROM. When I first got into Linux, I would
install, and then very soon have to re-install.

I prefer three Linux distros...

Knoppix because I can read/write NTFS reliably.
http://knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Damn Small Linux because it's small and loads fast,
also they have an iso that runs on old computers when
I have a problem running Knoppix on said computer.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Red Hat Enterprise free version
http://centos.org/
Version 5 should be forthcoming very soon, so I don't
recommend bothering to download the beta. If you need
it stat, you can get a 30-day trial of the real thing
from Red Hat
https://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/eval/

Have fun!
Daniel

P.S. You can also check out Fedora (Red Hat beta
testing distro for Enterprise), but I don't know how
stable it is.
See latest News section at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

PS PS You will find that there are lots of distros,
but the main ones that people fork off of that a new
user will find easier to use are Knoppix and Red Hat.
Debian is for Linux purists, but it has a learning
curve.

I mention Red Hat because I've used it in an
enterprise setting and it's the first distro I really
got into.