[nflug] Download these distros!

John G. Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Tue Apr 3 21:21:00 EDT 2007

Ryan Slomiany wrote:
> Yes, I'm definitely familiar with burning ISO's.
>
> Would you mind directing me to a link where I could
> find Mepis or Ubuntu?
>
> thanks

Here you go Ryan:

Mepis:
http://www.mepis.org/mirrors
Mepis 6.5 RC3 is current, but the Final release is due any day.
LiveCD/install

Ubuntu:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
LiveCD is not the install CD, unless they've changed it since I last
installed 6.10.
The "alternate install CD"  is different from the "typical install" and
from LiveCD. I screwed up a partition table trying to use the regular
install CD for installing 6.06 on a HDD that already had dozen
partitions.  It's OK if you have nothing else on that drive. IMO, use
the alternate install CD if you want to install.

Dream Linux from Brazil --LiveCD /install
http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/download.html

SAM Linux:
http://www.sam-linux.org/
_Very_ cool new release based on PCLinuxOS --I've been helping seed it
at linuxtracker.org, and it's in constant demand.  Very nice
LiveCD/install.  Like Mepis 6.5, it has Beryl 3D integrated.  VERY good
screen resolution config options for a Live CD. Get this if you have a
widescreen DFP.  [I'm not saying don't try any of the others, but this
one surprised me at how well it configures in a Live session]

MyahOS:
http://myahos.com/
Very nice independent distro --LiveCD/install.  Good HW detection --as
do all of the above.

There are a few other good ones that are LiveCD and install both on the
same disk. But that should keep you busy!    ;-)

--John