[nflug] VMWare 6.0 WS Beta

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Mon Apr 2 19:50:30 EDT 2007

Thought I would pass this on to the group:

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/index.html

I am downloading the Linux and Windows versions of this as this is supposed to have beeter support for running under Vista as the host OS.  We shall see :)  I currently run 5.0 under Vista and it's not that bad.  Granted, it could run a little bit better :)

Some features of the upcoming 6.0 release:
  a.. Support for Windows Vista - Use Windows Vista as host operating system
  b.. Multiple monitor display - You can configure a VM to span multiple monitors, or multiple VMs to each display on separate monitors
  c.. Support for USB 2.0 devices - You can now use peripherals that require high-speed performance in your VMs, such as MP3 Players and fast storage devices
  d.. VM Record/Replay - Use this feature to record VM activities and be guaranteed to reproduce the exact VM state 100% of the time
  e.. Integrated Virtual Debugger - Workstation integrates with Visual Studio and Eclipse so you can deploy, run, and debug programs in a VM directly from your preferred IDE
  f.. Automation APIs (VIX API 1.1) - You can write scripts and programs to automate VM testing
Also...

NEW! ACE Authoring Capabilities -Did you know that Workstation 6 now has the power of ACE? Securely package and deploy desktop virtual machines with encryption, network access and device control, and much more.  With the Pocket ACE feature, deploy to a portable media device so you can take your PC with you, without the PC.