[nflug] Gimp/Adobe port to Linux

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Wed Sep 20 18:07:24 EDT 2006

<SNIP>

> >> easy answer = vmware
> >>   I've been installing all/most of my clients with
> >> Linux and then
> >> putting on FREE vmplayer for their windows and
> >> windows applications. Now
> >> just recently I've been making the vmware client
> >> (windows) read only!
> >> Perfect answer, no need for anti-virus, don't care
> >> what the users try to
> >> download and install in windows, next reboot, it's
> >> gone. All data
> >> written via samba to the Linux side (i.e. relocate
> >> My Documents folder)
> >> so that all data is written to the Linux side via
> >> the samba share. All
> >> control is via the Linux side. When something needs
> >> to get installed in
> >> their windows, I change the read-only setting, do
> >> the install then put
> >> the read-only setting back. It's been a great way to
> >> not only get Linux
> >> in the door permanently but to also alleviate the
> >> need for anti-virus,
> >> cleaning up after workers download and install
> >> crapola, etc.. They also
> >> with a click of the workspace switcher, then use the
> >> Linux side for
> >> online, web, email, etc.. It's not a Linux port of
> >> photoshop but this
> >> has worked very well, no need to learn different
> >> apps, etc..
> >>   Anthony, you might suggest something like this to
> >> your company that
> >> loves windows and finally get rid of some of the
> >> frustration I know you
> >> must deal with on a daily basis...
> >

> yep, they can buy one workstation and then create all the windows
> workstations with that and then just copy them to their respective
> machines and use vmware player to run them. Once the *.vmx file is
> created, most everything can be configured simply by editing
> that file,
> for instance, I take away all options like the cd rom, floppy, etc.,
> from within that file. For some people (children mostly), I have also
> set them up where when the child logs into the box, it goes
> full screen
> windows, when he shutsdown his windows, it goes back to GDM (or KDM,
> whatever), that is if someone only wants windows, etc..

All,

While note quite on topic, there is a great Windows utility called the
"Shared Computer toolkit"

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/overview.mspx>
And
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx>

That I have seen deployed in helpdesk and telemarketing workstations. It's
not quite what you are looking for but it might very well be useful in
similar situations where one vmware image is shared by multiple users. Now,
combined with a nice group policy this solution affords for great protection
of the computer itself while retaining user data on a network drive.

On the topic, the one weakness of a vmware solution is the lack of graphics
acceleration. So if you content creators work with animation, they may need
to use the full vmware product to get (rudimentary) Direct X (but not
opengl) acceleration for animation programs.

Please also note that the vmware solution will require your company have the
proper number of licenses to run the Windows xp in the vmware vm's. the OEM
license that came with a X86 system does not grant the use rights to a OS in
a vmware image (unless this changed). You will need to check with your
licensing rep to be certain that you do not put yourself in the position of
being audited and found wanting.

See:

<http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/virtualization.mspx>

Fyi