[nflug] Gimp/Adobe port to Linux

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Sep 20 15:25:34 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> I have heard from people who use Gimp and said that it
> still dosent have the power like Photoshop. Lots
> people use premiere and aftereffects for animation
> graphics too. I have been working and supporting Macs
> lately at our company that has a creative dept that
> runs 50% Mac servers tiger os and 40% windoze,
> packages like these would get users to switch over and
> save company money by going to Linux. I like the Macs
> but IMHO Linux is free and easier to use and to
> configure dont have to buy their hardware etc. What
> would the cost be anyways the price of Linux = none
> price of the  Adobe programs?
>

> --- joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:
>

>> eric's log. Stardate Wed, 20 Sep 2006
>>

>>> bring out the gimp
>>>
>> the gimp's sleeping

easy answer = vmware
  I've been installing all/most of my clients with Linux and then
putting on FREE vmplayer for their windows and windows applications. Now
just recently I've been making the vmware client (windows) read only!
Perfect answer, no need for anti-virus, don't care what the users try to
download and install in windows, next reboot, it's gone. All data
written via samba to the linux side (i.e. relocate My Documents folder)
so that all data is written to the Linux side via the samba share. All
control is via the Linux side. When something needs to get installed in
their windows, I change the read-only setting, do the install then put
the read-only setting back. It's been a great way to not only get Linux
in the door permanently but to also alleviate the need for anti-virus,
cleaning up after workers download and install crapola, etc.. They also
with a click of the workspace switcher, then use the Linux side for
online, web, email, etc.. It's not a linux port of photoshop but this
has worked very well, no need to learn different apps, etc..
  Anthony, you might suggest something like this to your company that
loves windows and finally get rid of some of the frustration I know you
must deal with on a daily basis...