[nflug] debian kernel upgrade?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Sep 15 19:11:14 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Sorry for the length of this, but the situation, briefly is that I am
trying to get my logitech quickcam 3000 pro to work on a recent elive
(debian etch, apparently) laptop install. Here are various outputs I had
after installing the pwc with a .deb but before trying the rmmod
maneuvers mentioned below:

lsmod:

videodev                9632  1 pwc

dmesg:

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
pwc Philips webcam module version 9.0.2-unofficial loaded.
pwc Supports Philips PCA645/646, PCVC675/680/690,
PCVC720[40]/730/740/750 & PCVC83
0/840.
pwc Also supports the Askey VC010, various Logitech Quickcams, Samsung
MPC-C10 and
  MPC-C30,
pwc the Creative WebCam 5 & Pro Ex, SOTEC Afina Eye and Visionite
VCS-UC300 and VC
S-UM100.
pwc Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000 USB webcam detected.
pwc Registered as /dev/video0.
usbcore: registered new driver Philips webcam

lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:08b0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam 3000 Pro [pwc]

An ubuntu forum suggests this answer:

Re: Phillips Webcam Issues (pwc module)
Tracked down a bit more info on the problem. Grey output is a known
issue on the 2.6.12 kernel. I found a fedora bugzilla report on the
issue [1] as well as information on the pwc driver mailing list from
August [2].

I'm not sure when this plans to be fixed, but their is a workaround
(worked for me anyway).

1) Download pwc-10.0.7a.tar.bz2 from the pwc website [3]
2) rmmod pwc #remove the old module, if loaded.
3) Decompress the file, make, and make install the new module.
4) modprobe pwc # load the new module
5) unplug, and plug back in your usb webcam, and your good to go

When I try to make, I get:

# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12/build
SUBDIRS=/home/qfwfq/download/pwc/pwc-10.0.12-rc1 modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.12/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

A debian-devel list suggests this:

   1.  Removing any existing pwc module from the debian-supplied kernel:

     find /lib/modules -name 'pwc.*' -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
     rmmod pwc

   2.  Setting up module-assistant:

     apt-get install module-assistant
     m-a prepare

   3.  Downloading and building the external sources:

     apt-get install pwc-source
     m-a build pwc-source

   4.  Installing the built module:

     m-a install pwc-source
     depmod -a
     modprobe pwc

When I get to "m-a build pwc-source" I get this blue terminal that says

"Bad luck, the kernel headers for the target kernel version could not be
found and you did not specify other valid kernel headers to use"

and:

────────────────module-assistant, error message───────────────────┐
      │
   │
      │ If the running kernel has been shipped with the Debian
   │
      │ distribution, please install the package linux-headers-2.6.12.
If │
      │ your kernel source tree (or headers) is located in some
non-usual │
      │ location, please set the KERNELDIRS environment variable to the
   │
      │ path of this directory, or (alternatively) specify the source
   │
      │ directory we build for with the --kernel-dir option in
   │
      │ module-assistant calls.

then:

# apt-get install linux-kernel-headers-2.6.12
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-kernel-headers-2.6.12

So, I'm thinking perhaps I should just try to upgrade to a more recent
kernel, but every time I've tried rolling my own (for gentoo installs
and stuff) it takes forever and then fails to work anyway.

My question, finally is this: Is there an easy way to upgrade a debian
kernel with a minimum of wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Thanks,
S.