[nflug] Ubuntu network install?

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Sat Oct 28 13:55:56 EDT 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, David Rosonowski wrote:

> So, turns out the CD drive on my laptop is no good (again?), and I'm
> left with no way to install Ubuntu on the news of flash 9's release.
> Now, it offers network boot, but to be honest, I have no idea where to
> even begin.
>
> It's a dell inspiron 8200. hikaru, and I have the latest ISO burned to
> CD. I have another computer, wintermute, that's a generic win32 (XP)
> box, and another laptop, enzo, which is an OS X machine without a CD
> drive. (it died too...).
>
> Anyone know of a decent walkthrough or at least something to start with?

You might be able to pull it off with the OS X machine without too much
hassle, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple forced you to use
OS X Server to run some of the required daemons.

Booting knoppix on the windows machine and configuring available services
there is probably your best bet. The Knoppix hacks book isn't a bad book
to pick up if you go this route.

The basic requirements are DHCP/PXE & tftp (not ftp). You could set up a
local nfs/ftp/http server to serve the files for the install from too, but
it's easier to just skip that step and use the publically available
installation sources (assuming you have broadband).

A quick google reveals there is a ubuntu doc for what you want to do & it
can be found at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

Note that if you're on a public network, running your own DHCP may be
heavily frowned upon. If you're behind a linksys/belkin/dlink/whatever
router, you may want to temporarily disable the DHCP server on it before
beginning to save yourself headaches.