[nflug] Backup Questions?

Michael James jamesm at thundertux.org
Fri Oct 20 10:56:55 EDT 2006

If I have a linux system, and want to create an exact backup on another
machine...is it as simple at tar the root dir and subdirs, transfer tarball
to a newly installed linux system (assuming same version) and untar the
tarball at the root level?  I have a production system that beginning to act
up hardware wise, so I'd like to have a spare in reserve.  This is not a real
time backup, as in replication or clustering.  I just need to duplicate the
original linux system to a different box without spending hours or days
reconfiguring  or reinstalling the system or software.  Are there certain
directories that shouldn't be overwritten?  Any caveats? Suggestions?

Michael R. James
jamesm at thundertux.org