[nflug] woohoo flash 9 for Linux

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Oct 19 08:49:55 EDT 2006

eric wrote:
> there no chance they would port shockwave to linux because of the
> dependency of active X correct?
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>

>> It came out yesterday, it's still beta but works perfect from what I
>> see. Here's a link --------->
>> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

I really haven't paid that much attention to the shockwave issue on
Linux as I don't hear complaints about it much anymore. I used to hear
it all the time because clients kids trying to access stuff like
cartoonnetwork.com were all over shockwave. I would like to think that
the reason I don't hear much about it is because sites are shying away
from it as flashplayer gets more and more robust, but that's probably
wishful thinking. I also have gotten confused in the past as to what was
shockwave and what was flashplayer, for instance, here is the output of
about:plugins in my firefox after installing the latest flash9 plugin;
Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 d55

MIME Type 	Description 	Suffixes 	Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash 	Shockwave Flash 	swf 	Yes
application/futuresplash 	FutureSplash Player 	spl 	Yes