[nflug] Guidance getting started with Gentoo using Kernel 2.6.11 and GCC 3.3

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Oct 12 14:21:33 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I have an ongoing need to use Kernel 2.6.11 with Gcc 3.3 for the Apani /
Nortel VPN client (Seriously, the Nortel client does not support newer
versions of GCC and the Kernel). I use a Dell D610 (1.7GHZ P IV mobile, 2.5
GB, Intel 915GM graphics, AC97 sound, Broadcom Gigabyte LAN, 60GB HD) to vpn
into work's Dev/QA LAN.

To date I've been using Suse 9.3 with various smart and apt repos. However
the mean quality of these repositories are degrading (Heck even the Suse
10.1 repos are not well maintained). So I would like to give Gentoo a try.
What steps do I need to follow to get Gentoo installed with these base
requirements but updated to the latest version of OpenOffice, Mozilla tools,
Xorg, KDE and Alsa. I would entertain other distros if they are current
except for the Kernel and GCC tool chain

Your advise is appreciated!

P.S. My skill level with Linux is about SANS Level 3, but I've never
succeeded in installing Gentoo so what I really need is gentoo specific
instructions.

Sam S.