[nflug] JRE in FC6 amd64 won't work

default wpos2 at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 30 02:20:19 EST 2006

<snip>
> I think apt-get totally kicks yum's butt however yum does have a handy
> option that I have not found a similar option in apt-get and that is to
> use it against a local package. "yum localinstall packagename" will do
> what you want and get whatever the requirements are the package depends
> on. I have never tried it but I would imagine apt-get would work the
> same way as long as you put the *.deb (or rpm for that matter) in the
> local archive so it could find it, just might work. However, with yum's
> localinstall option, you simple need the path to the local file.
</snip>

The RPM directory in the prompt has the applicable RPMs.  My command was
[stay at rest rpm]# yum localinstall jre-1_5_0_09-linux-i586.rpm
jre-1_5_0_09-linux-amd64.rpm

Didn't work in my case, I'm afraid:
Package jre-1_5_0_09-linux-amd64.rpm is not signed

I did try with an absolute path reference too, with the same results.

Thanks for the tip just the same.  I do have apt installed, so I *may*
experiment with the corresponding DEBs.

Doh!