[nflug] For the command line wizards

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Mon Nov 20 15:02:25 EST 2006

this really depends on what mail server software your mail server is
running and how the messages are stored. are individual messages stored
as a seperate file or as a monolithic mbox file? if they are seperate
files see the -ctime option for the find command.

i'm using the cyrus imap server which has this nice little utility
called ipurge which will remove message from the spool based on days old
or size. cyrus has a built in events service to handle this. i purge
spam after 14 days.

Cyber Source wrote:
> Ok guys, I got one for the wizards of command line.
> I have an email server running spamassassin, which is a very good thing.
> Spamassassin catches much much crapola, another good thing. It
> occasionally makes a mistake on valid emails and puts them in 2 folders
> depending on severity, .probably-spam and .almost-certainly-spam along
> with actual spam based on previously black holed IP, html format, etc..
> It does a very good job and rarely makes a mistake. Initially when
> putting this in, I came up with the idea that we had better whack those
> 2 folders on a weekly basis because if people don't subscribe to these
> folders and check them or delete the emails in them, they could get
> huge, and in a hurry. So, I just setup a cron to weekly whack these
> folders, all has been well. But now I would like to give the emails that
> come in on the 7th day, the same chance that the emails got which came
> in on the 1st day, that being 6 more days to check the folder to see if
> it is actually spam and not a mistake. So my question is this....
> How can I setup a cron or script to be run by cron that could be run
> daily and delete the emails in these folders that are at least 7 days
> old? This way, if someone does get a valid email put in the spam
> folders, they would have at least 7 days to go check. Also, something to
> keep in mind that people often put wrong dates, etc., so it would
> actually read the time/date that the email arrived.
> I envision lots of curlys and dashes and dollar signs here....{'}$-@???
> TIA

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator