[nflug] For the command line wizards

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Mon Nov 20 14:57:51 EST 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Cyber Source wrote:

> Ok guys, I got one for the wizards of command line. I have an email
> server running spamassassin, which is a very good thing. Spamassassin
> catches much much crapola, another good thing. It occasionally makes a
> mistake on valid emails and puts them in 2 folders depending on
> severity, .probably-spam and .almost-certainly-spam along with actual

Does the dot notation indicate the messages are stored in maildir format?

> been well. But now I would like to give the emails that come in on the
> 7th day, the same chance that the emails got which came in on the 1st

<snip>

> How can I setup a cron or script to be run by cron that could be run
> daily and delete the emails in these folders that are at least 7 days
> old?

Assuming the mail system is using maildir (where each message is stored in
a separate file), then it'd be trivial to use 'find' with the 'ctime' arg.

If they're in mbox or another format (your smtp greeting of sendmail makes
me wonder), then it wouldn't be quite as easy. ('formail' might be able to
provide a solution, but I can't remember off the top of my head.)