[nflug] suse10.1 yast2 database recovery?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 8 13:36:18 EST 2006

Hello all,

At one point I had suse 10.1 running rather well here, but just enough
off that I felt the need to screw around with it. Naturally, (for me
anyway) I totally messed it up and had to start all over with a fresh
install.

I have it working again (better than before in certain aspects like
xine, kaffeine, etc) but my problem now is that I can't seem to do
anything in yast2 without it failing with painfully long strings of
errors. Mainly, I'm just trying to get e17 installed again, as it is my
wm of choice. Everything I've found on the web merely talks about how
easy it is to get e17 going with yast, but that always fails, despite
having added various suggested repositories to my sources.

So I recently downloaded the e17 rpms, but they are failing to install
also, either from command line OR yast2. So I just tried installing
ecore using the gui method of using the "install with yast2" option in
konqueror and got something like this, only much longer (this is the
beginning and end of the error message):

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: db4 error(-30987) from
dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) setting "libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)" records from
Requirename index
error: db4 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) setting "/usr/share/doc/packages/" records from
Dirnames index
error: db4 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) getting "libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)" records from
Requirename index
error: db4 error(-30987) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
Requested page not found
error: error(-30987) getting "/usr/share/doc/packages/" records from
Dirnames index
rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbcursor->c_put: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
error, run database recovery
error: error(-30977) storing record  into Requireversion
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery

---
error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from db->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
run database recovery
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->close: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error,
run database recovery

For some reason e16 fails to start as well, so I've had to fall back on
blackbox, but it's just not the same. I need my e back ;-).

Can anyone tell me what I have screwed up now and how I might fix it?

Thanks,
S.