[nflug] CIDR

nolf precognitive at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:12:20 EDT 2006

hey there!

cidr - classless inter domain routing
==========================

it basically breaks up the class structure of the ipv4 address block. incase
you
are familiar to the classes, which are chiefly

Class:
A - 1byte NA, 3 byte HA
B - 2byte NA, 2 byte HA
C - 3byte NA, 2 byte HA
D - Mulicast
E - Reserved for future use
where, NA: Network Address and HA: Host Address

as you might have guessed that only 256 networks are capable of holding a
class A address, which is where the problem sets in. similarly only 65536
networks are capable of  a class B address.

as you can see for yourself that this division is not fruitful as not many
organizations can fit into the rigid structure of the classes.

therefore, to overcome the ip shortage and wastage problem, it was decided
to remove the class structure and make it classless and thereby the birth of
CIDR. the idea was to effectively allocate the severely crunched ipv4
address space to organizations on a as per need basis

i hope that clears things out for you

---
hope is the quintessential human illusion... simultaneously the source of
your greatest strength and your greatest weakness