[nflug] Configuring VoIP with Router/modem

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu May 11 12:24:31 EDT 2006

Thus spake Joe on Wed, 10 May 2006

> I have a Westell 327W DSL modem/router and a Sunrocket (Innomedia
> MTA6328-2Re) VoIP box.  My DSL is 860/156 nominal.  Right now, I have only 1
> PC connected by ethernet, but later, I may have one or more additional ones
> either ethernet or wireless.
>
> Since my bandwidth is relatively low, I would like to tell the Westell to
> give top priority to the VoIP (currently on Port 2) and lower priority to
> everything else (now, just the PC on Port 1).  Is there a way to do that?
> The router has a lot of options, but I don't understand most of them.  What
> should I look for?
>
> Sunrocket just says to connect the VoIP between the modem and the PC.  That
> will work fine, for one PC, but not if I add anything to the network.

Actually, your phone modem is probably (like my vonnage adapter) just a
simple router. So you can bring your internet into it, and then out to a
hub/switch and then to your computer(s). But I'm sure that your phone
modem will not have the ability to dish-out bandwidth the way that you
want. And I don't know enough about routering to answer the main part of
your question.