[nflug] Getting DSL to work, etc.

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu May 4 17:46:14 EDT 2006

The whole point of this exercise is to get Verizon DSL working and stop
using Buffnet dialup.  They're a good ISP, but dialup isn't DSL.
In the mean time, I have to keep my dialup connection open so I can get
to the Internet and email questions like this.  The modem/router is
connected to eth0.

In a nutshell (see prior posts for much more detail), I went into
Mandrake control center and got eth0 to be active - E1 lights up on my
modem/router, but I still can't get to 192.168.1.1 (where the
modem/router lives) in Firefox.  Until that works, nothing else will.
Linux needs something(s) configured (and possibly installed), but I
don't know what.

I tried using Mandrake Control Center to configure access, but it wants
to install something (and it won't tell me what) from the installation
disks that I don't have at this location.  Also I have the choice to
install "lan" or "adsl" and I'm not sure which is the right choice.  I
was trying the "lan" option.

Again, if I know what to install, I have a Mandrake 9.1 install disk
from a magazine, and of course, the Internet, from which to get the
right thing and install it.  It's just that MCC won't recognize the disk
because it's not the one it was installed from.

I'm 90% of the way there and just don't know how to proceed.  (I've been
here more times than I can count.  It's just a basic feature of my
love/hate relationship with Linux - and my need to get new hardware and
a modern distro that makes all of this easier.)

Joe