[nflug] tape drive problems (scsi)

ptgoodman ptgrunner at earthlink.net
Thu May 4 10:46:45 EDT 2006

Hi Cyber Source,

These are external DAT ( or some variation ) drives? OK, you wrote that
;-)! I agree it _seems_ like a setup problem, rather than a hardware
problem, unless... It could be a hardware setup problem. Is the SCSI
cabling properly terminated at all problem locations? Some
auto-terminate. You may have to check inside the drive box to ensure
that the DIP switches are set properly for your operating system ( of
course, I don't know what that is )...this I know from painful
experience on an SGI/UNIX system. You can check the manufacturer's web
site for info on DIP switch settings ( yes, they can be very important
)--note, for example, that an Emerald drive may have a HP DAT drive in
the box, so you'd need to go to a HP web site for this information. My
memory is telling me that my failing to properly set the DIP switches
caused an error message very much like the one your are getting and that
the backups sometimes "seemed" to be proceeding properly when they were
not. I'm guessing that you have checked SCSI ID settings at all
locations to avoid SCSI device conflicts.

Under SGI/UNIX there were a couple files that needed to be modified and
the UNIX OS rebuilt to actually recognize the tape drive and its
characteristics ( e.g. blocksize ). One such file required a fairly long
entry that fully completely described the tape drive to the OS. Can't
remember the files, but one had entries for _all_ devices on the system.

Question. You can do sequential backups on DDS drives? Not too long ago,
this was not possible. mt would still perform the various functions.
Still, I'm not sure that "mt erase" or "mt rewind" are required. Tar did
it all.

It's been quite a while since I worked on this issue, so I can't be much
more specific. If I could see it, feel it, touch it ( the problem that
is ), I might be able to help more. There's probably more information on
this packed away someplace in my brain.

good luck,
pete