[nflug] tape drive problems (scsi)

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu May 4 10:31:05 EDT 2006

i'm curious as to why you are erasing the tape, there really isn't a
need to do this. because you are using /dev/st0 you do not need to
rewind the tape it will rewind automatically, /dev/nst0 is the no-rewind
device on linux. try removing the rewind to see if it makes a difference.

try dd'ing /dev/zero onto the device to see if it errors? something like
'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/st0 bs=512k count=10000' will write alot of
nothing to the tape for you.

--
Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator