[nflug] Live CD help

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Thu Mar 30 18:32:02 EST 2006

<snip>

>Thanks.  I'm running the dd now.  I omitted the -9 to give my
>tired old
>processor a break. The usb drive is way big.
>
>Do you know how to tell the Knoppix Live CD to skip the gui and just
>give me 800x600 (vga) and the command prompt?  Somehow I broke
>it during
>boot up and got there, but I'd like to do it more easily next time.
>Without mouse support, the gui is almost worthless.
>
>As for your other options, I don't know enough to make my own Live CD,
>so I can't use optional programs.  On my other machine - my dual-boot
>desktop, I use partimage to back up the windoze side and it
>works great.

Hi Joe,

Start knoppix like this:

 knoppix 2

^^ this just starts a text mode session. You might want to try this first.

 knoppix 2 fb800x600

^^ this gives you a color screen but it can cause a display problem (like
not seeing all the display).

That should fix you up (it's my favorite command for knoppix!)

If you ever need help with knoppix options, when knoppix first boots press
the "F2" and "F3" keys at boot time. This will provide you with a nice
summery of the various options available.

I should note that there is a partimage bootable cd. Your can find it at:

<http://www.sysresccd.org/>

IF that cd works for you, it might be a better option as you can then keep
all your images in the same format ;>

Good Luck!

Sam S.