[nflug] Multiple Monitors

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Mar 29 19:07:24 EST 2006

Thus spake David W. Aquilina on Wed, 29 Mar 2006

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:53:06PM -0500, joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:
>> With MergedFB I do but the resolutions have to be the same.
>
> Actually, they don't have to be exactly the same but there is a hitch - the overall display has to be rectangular. I'm currently running with MergedFB on a laptop connected to an external LCD display.
>
> - The laptop's built in display has a native resolution of 1024x768
> - The external LCD is 1280x1024.
>
> To get it to be rectangular, I made the virtual desktop on the laptop's built in display taller than it actually is, so it scrolls down when you move the mouse downwards.
>
> The overall display is 2304x1024. You can see my xorg.conf here:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/dwa/xorg.conf
>
> (Note as it's a laptop I obviously haven't tried to pin a third display on here. I'm also running Fedora Core 5)

Thanks for the information David. That is handy to know for future
reference. I thought that there was no way in heck to do it with two
different resolutions with mergedfb or twinview. Though I'd probably
make the larger screen a lesser resolution because I just can't get used to that virtual desktop.