[nflug] Multiple Monitors

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Mar 29 07:32:47 EST 2006

<When I try to use it (Option "Xinerama" "true") everything
appears to go off ok, but my desktops are just mirrored. The mouse and
windows move the same in each (not from one to the next) as if I had
done no monitor configuration at all.

Is Xinerama what I want to do? I'm not really sure. I need someone to
say "Yes Josh, you need Xinerama working" or "No Josh, you are barking
up the wrong tree, look into flibbityflabbityfloo">

I believe Xinerama is pretty depreciated though I could be wrong, I
remember it was needed for some stuff but I have never seen the need.
Probably because I always work with NVIDIA stuff and with NVIDIA,
TwinView does all that I need. Options within TwinView can be "Clone",
"RightOf", "LeftOf", etc.. These refer to how the second monitor is
handled, being self explanatory. Xinerama may have options like that and
they are probably specific to your driver for your video card. I won't
go into detail about the NVIDIA TwinView because you have an ATI card.
The fact you have such stuff working with ATI is pretty good to begin
with ;). Check the docs on your driver to see what the options are for
dual outputs or you could save alot of grief by just getting an NVIDIA
card, you can pick them up cheap enough and you'll love the performance
too. I'm kinda biased to NVIDIA (can't ya tell?), I like their support
for Linux, all inclusive drivers, and for about $25 you can have some
amazing video.