[nflug] [Fwd: MM: Bye Bye Microsoft Word, Hello ajaxWrite]

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Thu Mar 23 14:55:43 EST 2006

It sure sounds good, CyberSource, but ...
I've already opened and started editing 2 OpenOffice.org docs and ajaxWrite was
still loading. ... on a fractional T-1. I tried to open a Word file and it
errored out: "Couldn't read document." after 30-45 sec. of "uploading" the file.
Does that mean I'm not editing it locally? This is a 30 k (as in 30,027 bytes)
MSWord doc. I opened  it in OpenOffice.org in about 10 sec. After 3 tries,
that's enough. I'm not all that sold on uploading a document via the internet to
edit it anyway. Could it be ajaxWrite.com is getting "Slashdotted" w/ .docs?
Maybe it works better in Linux? That would be understandable if that's the case.
Based on my experience using Firefox and Windows XP, this seems (and his letter
reads very much) like a lot of marketing hype.
Has there ever been a serious "office productivity" program of any sort that
went 3 years without an update? Not since I've been using computers.
With even a 20 Gig drive, a 200+ megabyte productivity program is hardly
"bloatware". That term had meaning back in the days of expensive sub-gigabyte
hard drives and 16 megabyte RAM computers.
I also can't help but wonder what happens when I need to edit a document with 5
or 6 embedded images. What happens if the document itself is 5 or 6 megabytes?
Based on my experience using this "open in 6 second" wonder, there's no benefit
for me here at all. Using the same connection, "with a single click" I would
have had nearly half of OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 downloaded in the time it took me
to discover that ajaxWrite can't handle a 30k Word document. Then maybe another
10-20 minutes to install.
This is not the first time this has been tried. Maybe with his marketing savvy
and WalMart, he'll succeed. But I think he needs a better ajaxWrite, first.
-Greg Neumann