[nflug] dns setup questions learning

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Mar 23 09:53:44 EST 2006

you can host all of your zones forward and reverse on the same machine.
your SOA record should look something like this:

-- BEGIN --
$TTL 2W
@               IN SOA          ns1.yourzone.com.   root (
                                2006021406      ; serial
                                2D              ; refresh
                                4H              ; retry
                                6W              ; expiry
                                1W )

		IN MX           10 smtp.yourzone.com.
                IN NS           ns1.yourzone.com.

-- END --

do NOT use adelphia IP addresses for you zone, you should be using one
of the private network spaces like 192.168.0.0/24. in your named.conf
set forwarders to adelphia dns servers.

use the host or nslookup commands to test you dns setup.
	i.e.> host host.yourzone.com localhost

anthonyriga wrote:
> I have been using dynamic dns but want to learn bind dns setup found
> good tutorial on internet but have few questions. This dns is on an
> ubuntu box that I started to setup. Does there have to be a slave
> server to host the reverse zone records or can it be on the same box?
>  Whn setting up the SOA in the db.local wht address do I use for the
> A records and master server? Do I use my adelphia dns address or my
> local nat 192 numbers? I just want to use local dns for speed then
> external dns for failure. How do I tell if the dns is working? Do I
> do dig command.

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Cognigen Corporation