[nflug] Off topic Vonage phone?

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Wed Mar 8 16:30:57 EST 2006

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm sure some of you have experience
with this.

A friend is moving into a new house.  Looking at prices, Verizon
dsl+Vonage seems cheaper than regular phone service alone.  She will
have cable, but the monthly cable Internet charges seem a bit high.

Aside from normal phone usage (USA & Canada occasionally), she does
basic email and web surfing - no big downloads or media files - unless
I'm there upgrading software.

What do I need to watch out for etc. in selecting/setting this up?

She has a regular cordless phone/answering machine and an old notebook
running Win 98se (Firefox/Thunderbird/OOo) that has a built-in winmodem
and a 3com ethernet card in it.

Thanks for any pointers.

Joe