[nflug] Printer/Scanner Support in Linux/BSD

Mike Richardson mtr3 at buffalo.edu
Tue Mar 7 14:04:49 EST 2006

Joshua Ronne Altemoos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am searching the market for a MFC (Scanner, printer, copier) laser or
> inkjet That will work in an *nix enviroment very easily. I was looking at
> HP PSC 1410, some of canon's and samsung (laser) but I have not been able
> to find out if it is supported in *nix enviroments or not. Anyone care to
> share?

HP all-in-one's generally have print support in Linux, but enabling the
scanning/fax capabilities is going to be the most difficult part.

I own a working HP PSC 2210 (completely functional on Windows 2000).
CUPS drivers were no sweat for the printer portion. The scanner,
however, is a totally different beast. I've reconfigured hpijs according
to several different threads, swapped patched source code for various
binary distributions, and have yet to even have it recognized. I've been
so frustrated by it, I haven't even looked into getting the fax
component working.

--
Michael Richardson
Web Programmer, ePharmacotherapy Networks