[nflug] Using Linux Live CD's to repair Win XP

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Mar 5 12:30:55 EST 2006

A friend just got a used notebook with Win XP.  It was clogged with
videos, etc. and he deleted a few too many things and it won't boot.

It came with no CDROM's, etc.

I figure I can try to fix it up from the recycle bins or restore
partition (if there is one) using a Linux liveCD.

I know Win 98se but have never used XP.

Questions:
If I find good stuff in the recycle bins, can I just copy it back to
where it was to fix things?

How do I "activate" the restore partition?

I have DSL and Knopix 3.3.  In Knopix, I open a terminal and su just
works so I can do everything (including open konqueror as root).

In dsl, su wants a password.  Anybody know what it is by default?

Thanks.

Joe