[nflug] Apache/Tomcat Question

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:32:42 EDT 2006

Basically mod_jk, in its simplest form, will take a request bound for port
80 and apache and look at the type of data it is requesting.  Like .php gets
passed to the php module, or .html gets handled natively by apache,
something like .jsp will simply get forwarded on to Tomcat.  Apache isn't
really doing anything at that point except for acting as a conduit so that
both distinct servers can use port 80 simultaneously, which makes coding
multi-language web apps a little simpler.

Tomcat has a pretty extensive administration interface.  Basically, when it
gets set up, you do just enough dirty work on Tomcat to get the thing to run
and then configure everything else (permissions, database, settings, etc.)
via the admin app.  It's really though this app that you should be directing
your attention.

Your application should have capability to access the allowed functions of
the environment it's running within, which in this case is Tomcat.  That
includes your permissions and access.  You shouldn't have to use explicit
filters and such just to access permission data being passed from the
session and handled by the application server.

You may want to spend a little time grepping the tomcat docs and even do
some searches over at the Sun website as they have their own spin off app
server based on Tomcat, which is to say it is basically branded Tomcat.

brad