[nflug] Apache/Tomcat Question

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Tue Jun 27 13:26:53 EDT 2006

When we last left our adventurers...

> I would say that there should be no reason you couldn't do what you want to
> natively within Tomcat.  You shouldn't need more than a modicum of java, if
> any at all to do it.  Tomcat should have some native handling of
> authentication to it's services, which you can use in conjunction with your
> applications.
>
> The big thing to remember is that although you have Apache and Tomcat linked
> using mod_jk, Tomcat is a standalone server, with it's own auth mechanisms
> and capabilities.  Mod_jk simply allows the java content to be passed off to
> tomcat automagically through apache instead of having to directly address
> the server over port 8080 or whereever you set it up at.
>
> You probably know that, but just in case, I figured, I would expound as I
> know plenty of java developers that have very little clue about the workings
> of the app server and vice-versa.
>
> In short, it should be able to be done, and I would say to leverage Tomcat
> to do what you need to do.
>
> brad

I just figured that since the trouble was put into making a mod_jk, and
not merely passing off the request to tomcat (mod_rewrite or proxy style),
that maybe it did more than that. Like accepting requests back in some
way-shape-or-form.

I'm attempting to use a Filter handle the request. Am I barking up the
wrong tree? Or is this the way to go?

-Josh